The SF-36 is a multi-purpose, short-form health survey with 36 items.
It yields an 8-scale profile of functional health and well-being scores as well as psychometrically-based physical and mental health summary scores and a preference-based health utility index.
The SF-36 version 2 (Ware, Kosinski, & Dewey, 2000.) consists of items
- assessing physical functioning (PF; 10 items)
- social functioning (SF; 2 items)
- role limitation due to physical health (RP; 4 items)
- bodily pain (BP; 2 items)
- mental health (MH; 5 items)
- role limitations due to emotional health (RE; 3 items)
- vitality (VT; 4 items)
- general health perceptions (GH; 5 items)
- reported health transition (1 item)
The Physical Component Score (PCS) and Mental Component Score (MCS) are on a T-score metric.